ITNS 281 is the challan for payment of Tax Deducted at Source (TDS)/ Tax Collected at Source (TCS). These forms can be downloaded to your computer and filled for payment of tax.
This excel based auto Challan ITNS 281 should be used for deposit of Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) on any heads of income or for deposit of Tax Collected at Source (TCS) by both companies (company deductees) or by others deductees (non company deductee)
This challan should not be used for deposit of self assessment tax for which a separate excel ITNS 280 Utility has been provided.
To facilitate this online process, core group from RBI, Indian Banks Association, Central Board of Direct Taxes and Controller of Accounts worked together and came up with Online Tax Accounting System (OLTAS) for Direct Taxes.
Download TDS Challan 281: Click here
Following are the three types of challans introduced by the Income Tax Department:
- Challan No. ITNS 280 – This form is used for the payment of Income Tax; such payment can be in the form of Self-Assessment Tax, Advance tax, tax on regular assessment, tax on distributed profits, or income. Tax can be paid online or through cheque, DD, etc. at various bank branches. Irrespective of the mode of payment, Challan ITNS 280 shall be used.
- Challan No. ITNS 281 – This Challan is used for depositing Tax Deducted at Source (TDS) or Tax Collected at Source (TCS).
- Challan No. ITNS 282 – This is to be used in case of payment of Gift Tax, Wealth Tax, Expenditure Tax, Estate Duty, Securities Transaction Tax, and Other Direct Taxes.
Process for filing Challan Online
- Logon to e-Tax Payment System site.
- Click on Challan No./ ITNS 281.
- Fill in the required details such as TAN no., address, mode of payment, bank name, etc. and click on proceed.
- The confirmation screen will be displayed, check the details entered.
- Click on “Submit to the bank”.
- It will be redirected to the net-banking site of the bank.
- Enter the user id and password provided by the bank for the net-banking purpose.
- Enter the payment details, i.e. the amount to be paid.
- Click on submit
- On successful payment, a challan counterfoil shall be displayed containing the CIN No., payment details, and bank name through which e-payment has been made.
Process for Offline Challan Submission
- Download the excel format of TDS challan
- Enable editing and content
- Fill in the required details
- Take the printout of the challan
- Submit the challan to the bank along with the amount to be paid
- On submission of the challan, the bank will issue a counterfoil/ receipt back stamped as proof of submission.