Required Documents for Society Registration
- A requesting registration letter, signed by all founding members.
- A certified copy of the MOA, which is signed by all the founding members, with a duplicate.
- A certified copy of the rules and regulations, that is signed by all the founding members, along with a duplicate copy.
- A table with the names and address and occupation of all members of the society with their physical signatures
- Minutes of the meeting (general body meeting conducted to set the rules and regulations)
- Declaration by the president of the society
- A sworn affidavit from the President or Secretary, declaring the relationship between the subscribers.
- Address proof of registered office if rented then obtain a no-objection certificate from the landlord.
Society is a non- profitable organization that is usually formed to do some good work to the society and not for some personal interests. Any funds or profits that are earned by society during a period of time. These funds or profits should not be distributed between the members of the society, as doing so will dissolve the sole purpose of setting up the not-for-profit organization.
Society Registration in India
The Society Registration Act,1860 was introduced in India with the aim of improving the legal conditions of society registration for the promotion of literature, science, or fine arts or for the diffusion of useful knowledge for charitable purposes.
Purpose of Society Registration
A Society Registration formed with the purpose of the development of science, fine arts, or literature or else for the diffusion of purposeful knowledge or charitable purposes of political education. According to section 20 of Society Act, 1860, a society registration can be established for given purposes:
- Promotion or diffusion or instruction of useful knowledge.
- Foundation or Maintenance of libraries or reading rooms for general use.
- Foundation or Maintenance of public museum galleries of art and other artwork.
- Collection of natural history, mechanical and philosophical inventions, instruments or designs, etc.
- Grant of charitable assistance.
- The diffusion of political education.
- Promotion of science and literature.
- Promotion of fine arts.
- Creation of military orphan funds.
Benefits of Society Registration
- Society registration allows society to maintain an individual existence.
- There are many benefits which are offered by the government to the not for profit ventures which are as follows:
- One of the essential benefits that are offered to the not for profit ventures is tax benefits.
- Non-profit ventures are eligible for income tax benefits if they are set up for charitable purposes and satisfy all the requirements of the Income Tax Act.
- A society registration can lease, rent, buy and sell a property, borrow money, and enter contracts in its own name. No member of society can have personal rights or interests in any of the assets of the society.
- An incorporated society will continue as a separate entity even though its membership changes.